Skip to main content

Side Project: Neuro Da Verse Poetry for a Different Brain



Neuro Da Verse is the capstone project of my BSS Advocation for Neurodiversity through the Arts. It is a showcase of the type of advocacy and activism he wishes to strive towards in my career. My experience with Performance art will hopefully feed into my quest to create workshops, art projects and collaborations that Facilitate effective self advocation and Self Expression.

Featuring Five Neurodiverse Cornellian Poets, 
Neuro Da Verse  is a celebration of our different brains, and poetry that we used to explore, express, and advocate for ourselves throughout our lives. Our Poets will share personal narratives and poetic pieces that speak to their own unique experiences and circumstances.

Our goal is to garner respect for the power of creativity in the hands of the Neurodiverse, and to call our audience to action in supporting the neurodiverse poets and artists in their lives.





Featured Poets:
Chris Ryerson
Armani Rogers
Lily Cott
Ujjesa Dhanak
Zaria Evans



Directed by Chris Ryerson,




Part One, My Narrative, My goals.


Part Two, The Poets Section



Some of my thoughts on the project:

This performance serves as the culmination of my work in Theater, Psychology and studio art at Cornell, the bow upon my Bss degree in 'Advocation for neurodiversity through the arts.' It took shape as a prototype for the type of work I want to be basing my future career off of;  Collaborative art projects with Neurodiverse community members focused on facilitating self exploration, self expression and finally, self- advocation through various art mediums and in workshop formats.
Neuro Da Verse came into being this year, in the middle of fifth block as a reengineering of my capstone. Coming into this year, I had originally envisioned my BSS capstone as a devised theater project focused on presenting individual narratives through hybrid art shows/interviews with the participants. Though I had done significant research into the powerful ways artistic exploration and expression can help improve the lives of the neurodiverse, my planned execution was not on a path for success. This original format was rife with issues I found myself ill equipped to address. First, I found difficulties finding willing participants who could dedicate significant time both in rehearsal and in the art studio. Second, I had been struggling to figure out how to balance the roles of Director, advocate and performer in this format. Finally, I  struggled with a particular ethical issue that interfaces deeply with the first two issues: when, how and where does advocating with a community, turn into advocating for a community, and when does that turn into using a community to be heard.
You see, My goal as an advocate for Neurodiversity through the arts, Is to advocate for the Idea of Neurodiversity existing as a commendable and respected state of being, rather than advocating For any particular person or group of peoples using my own words or performances. Instead, I hope my works provide spaces and tools for my community members to speak their own stories and communicate their own words. It is a important delineation!
I myself am Neurodiverse, I have a brain that works differently from the accepted norms of cognitive behavior, and Neurological mechanics, ADHD Combined Presentation. I grew up struggling with executive dysfunction, hyperactivity, and deficient impulse control. I can speak have have spoken to the experiences folks with ADHD can have with Rigid school requirements, and the kinds of stress and depression that can stem from constantly being unable to focus on what i love, or accomplish doable tasks for no other reason than my brain not being able to connect the first dots between the start and step one. But what I can not speak to, is Major Depressive Disorders, Compulsive Disorders, Personality Disorders And any other type of diagnosis or particular different brain that I simply Do not have.
When I  reimagined and refined my capstone into a narrative based exploration into the utility of Poetry in the hands of the neurodiverse, I addressed the above ethical and professional quandary in part at least. By shifting the focus of my project from creating the 'perfect platform' for artists to both show off their work and be explain it in a consumable way to the audience, to a project dedicated to sharing my experience with Poetry as a tool for self-advocation, I was able to speak to my own truths more fearlessly, And invite my collaborating poets to do the same.
Armani, Ujjesa, Lily and Zaria Brought their own experiences and viewpoints into the project, Utilizing my narrative as a primer for the audience on the idea of Poetry being a multi use tool for a neurodiverse individual, Their self contained stories were able to stand on their own, and receive the focus that they deserved.
Their engagement changed this project from one I was content with, into a Project I am proud to have even been a part of. In the creation of Neuro Da Verse, I requested each poet bring a piece of poetry that spoke to their personal experiences with their different brains, or a piece that perhaps had helped them explain themselves or advocate for themselves in the past. I then asked them to produce a narrative section that would contextualize their poetry for our audience, explain to those watching why and how the process of creating and sharing poetry has been conducive to their successes or resilience in life. It was an open ended prompt on purpose, and through their work I feel that each poet was able to bring their own intersectional experiences to bare, each of us touching on facets of the neurodiverse experience that the rest of us would not be able to.
I created Neuro Da Verse in the hopes of Sharing the tools that had helped me build who I am today, talk how i talk today, and think how I think today. Not because I think the ways that I personally work are the "right ways" for a kid with ADHD to succeed, But because I feel that Tools like Poetry and creative narratives are so flexible, so emotionally magnetic when used without fear, that anyone could gain from the chance to use them, and the freedom to create art that speaks to their own personal truth. I do not want my work to be handing out instruction books on how to be a "successful" neurodiverse person, instead I want to provide the resources and freedom i had been able to have in my youth, and the space on stage or on print for these wonderful neurodiverse artists to be seen for who they are: Wonderfully human, And powerfully creative.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The start of something new

(Ink Smalls, 3" x 3" paintings I make by the bushel with ink and acrylic, I like to think of them as Moments of Impulse put to paper) Hello and welcome to my new Experience. (Experience with a Capital E because I capitalize words as I type that are capitalized in my thoughts. I would normally edit it out, But I'll be lowering some of my filters for this blog, For the work I will be producing.) This Experience will be the explorations and investigations of Intermedia and Performance Art in my final Block of Cornell College: ART 306 Intermedia Art. I can not predict what kind of work I'll produce, nor what exactly i'll be sharing on this blog, But I know It will be fun! At this moment, I know Performance art to be Action of art as much as it is a Product of art. In some cases, It is movement, sound, activity and experience, Some times it has audiences, is video taped, or recorded, shared into posterity and view-able, knowable separate from  the Performer&

Project Three, Audience Reciprocation

Coming soon! A score from Five friendly classmates in the spirit of Fluxus and John Cage Above you can see the guidelines, the score we crafted together. It guided our Moments in spirit, if not directly as we had integrated elements of chance, random operations. Primarily through the Interactions and reactions experienced between the artists as we performed. Of note is the labeling of our performers as Audience, And a 'Choosey Audience' behind them. As I see it, our performers were viewing and experiencing the moments created by our actions just as much, if not more, than the audience who ere not making sounds, who were only drinking in the experience. we drank in each other's actions, followed light guidance from our member, jasper, and then gave back and reciprocated the experience.  Here is this Reciprocation.  

Walking in the rain